THE IMPACT OF NON-WORK ACTIVITIES IN WORK BEHAVIOUR
Nowadays, non-work activities are demanding increased attention, because people desire a career that leaves them with time and energy to devote to work and life demands. For many members of The Marketing Store, demands of work and personal lives can lead to conflict between the two roles and decrease overall life satisfaction. This report was designed to analyze the impact of non-work activities in work behaviour in The Marketing Store. Specifically the analysis of this report seeks answers to these questions:
1) Why should the management care about work-life balance?
2) What can the management do to reduce this ...view middle of the document...
The research findings presented here falls into two parts (a) work and management, (b) work and life.
Work and Management
Characteristics of Work
The Marketing Store has 96 members composed of the president, department managers, and members from finance, business affairs, creative, and technical departments. Most employees are working on full time basis on permanent contracts (79.7%), and the remaining (20.3%) are working on a fixed term basis.
Level of Commitment to the Job
The survey found that the overall levels of commitment reported within the company were reasonable for all members. Most full time members (83%) reported high level of commitment to their job and desire to remain part of the organization. On the other hand, most of fixed time members suggested that they could become as committed to another organization and felt they had sufficient options in the broader workplace to consider living the company.
Most survey respondents (87%) declared that their managers are supportive and give them recognition for work well done, listen to their concerns, and communicate with them regularly.
Over 78% of survey respondents agreed or strongly agreed that their work performance is evaluated on their work output, rather than hours. 23% disagreed that their performance is evaluated on results rather than time spent at their work.
Good work-life balance policies and practice are good for business, and some benefits can be directly measured financially. These include: increased productivity, improved recruitment and retention, lower rates of absenteeism, and a more motivated, satisfied and equitable workforce (Silverthorne 154-172).
One of the most important factors to consider in the overall effect of life satisfaction is work-life balance. Factors that contribute to these two roles are working hours, household type and care responsibilities, and quality of life.
The starting working time and finishing working time are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The survey fund that 68% of respondents are satisfied with their working schedule; however 36% of them repot that working hours are sometimes a problem, specifically for those with family and young children, and have the greatest need for flexible work.
Household type and Care Responsibilities
Survey respondents were asked whether they personally take care for anyone. The survey showed that 57% of employees have no care responsibilities, 43% provide care for someone, 38% care for a child or children, 3% care for an elderly.
The survey suggests that a reasonable...