Forecast of availabilities
Job Category Current – 1 -2-3-4-5 Exit
(1) Store associate 8500 4505 510 0 0 0 3485
(2) Shift Leader 1200 0 600 192 0 0 408
(3) Department Manager 850 0 0 493 102 0 255
(4) Assistant store manager 150 0 0 9 69 12 60
(5) Store Manager 50 0 0 0 0 33 17
According to data some factors show that Tanglewood will have some difficulty with hiring because retail work is not what recent college graduates are looking for. Tanglewood wants to hire people that can start at lower shift level and move up. They also have to have a college background. However retail is not wanted mainly because college graduates find it difficult to fit in long hours of work with low pay and conflicts with lower level employees.
...view middle of the document...
This will make the morale of the company increase. Another option would be for Tanglewood to hire temporary workers.
2. According to the forecast of labor requirements found in table 1.1, next year will need 3995 store associates, 408 shift leaders, 391 department managers, 48 assistant managers, and 33 store managers. As a result we will need to be hiring a large amount of store associates. We will do this by attempting to attract college graduates. In order to do so we will provide higher pay and store discounts as well as offering flextime. We will also strive to have and to build exceptional workforce quality in a number of ways. We will work to improve job satisfaction by providing employees with task variety. We will also work toward developing talent and hiring internally.
3. Yes I do believe the company should use specific strategies for recruiting and promotion practices. I do not think it will be realistic to try to obtain the affirmative action goals in the first year. There are pros and cons to using internal vs. external hiring to rectify the problems with gender and ethnicity representation in the supervisory positions. Some examples of the pros for internal hiring are that it will be that it increases the morale of the company. Employees feel like the company cares about them. They will work harder to get a promotion and that can increase efficiency. A con is that you won’t get new talent. Some pros for hiring externally will be you receive new talent that can bring new ideas to the company. A con would be they don’t know the culture of the company.
4. The individual stores should all come together to achieve the new goals. As a whole they all should try to focus on hiring more store associates as well as women. Each store should focus on hiring internally and increasing promotions.