SIOP Lesson Plan
Grade Level: 2
Subject Area: Sheltered Instruction
Topic: Teaching English Learners
1. Students will write poems about themselves using the letters of their names to begin each line.
2. Learning how to write about themselves with key vocabulary words.
3. Be able to discuss poems with their peers
The students will discover how to write artistically about themselves. Students will find words that begin with the letters in their name. They will create a poem, and share it with their classmates. Then they will review and reflect on their experience as a classroom.
Objectives ...view middle of the document...
The teacher will guide the students, helping them write their names, and choose words from the word bank that describe them.
- Review the letters of the student’s names to make sure they have a good start.
- Review the vocabulary words and their definitions.
- Write your own name vertically down the left side of your paper
-Have students find words as a class for the letters of your name
-Ask students for words that describe you
- Break students into smaller groups.
- Assign a peer helper to help guide students as needed
- Have students help one another come up with words from the word banks
- Allow each student to share their poems with their peers
After the student groups have shared their poems with the class they may return to their seats and discuss the new words they have learned.
- Review vocabulary words used is poem from word banks
- Describe poems to their parents
-Use flash cards to review words
-Evaluation or Assessment:
Seventy percent of students will have acquired new vocabulary words that were used to describe themselves and know how to use at least five words in context. Thirty percent of the students will be familiar with words, without being able to use them in context (Brown Alliance Group. Teaching Diverse Learners, 2008).
Brown Alliance Group. Teaching Diverse Learners (2008, March) Retrieved from http://www.alliance.brown.edu/tdl/tl-strategies/mc-principles.shtml
Florida State Board of Education. (2007, November 2). Florida K-12 Reading and Language Arts Standards. Retrieved from Florida Standards Web site: http://etc.usf.edu/flstandards/la/new-pdfs/points-2.pdf