University of Phoenix Material
Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts: Part 2
Which type of research design— exploratory, descriptive, or causal—is appropriate for the following examples? Explain why.
• The goal of this research is to discover the real nature of the problem and to suggest new possible solutions or new ideas.
Exploratory- The nature of the problem is found through research to find possible solutions.
• A food manufacturer wants to know the demographics of people who purchase organic foods.
Descriptive- They want to find the specific demographics of people who purchase organic foods.
• A firm is considering hiring ...view middle of the document...
• This type of study attempts to discover answers to the following questions: who, what, when, where, or how much.
Descriptive- It is attempting to discover who buys their products or services, what they buy them for, when they buy them, where they buy the products, and how much of them they buy.
• A manufacturer investigates whether consumers will buy a new pill that replaces eating a meal.
Exploratory- They want to find out if the pill will sale.
• Cosmopolitan magazine sends out a cover in selected markets featuring a female model to half of its readers and a cover with a female and male model to the other half of its readers to test differences in purchase response between the two groups.
Causal- They are testing how the two different covers affect sales in different markets.
• A hair-care manufacturer interviews wholesalers, retailers, and customers to determine the potential for a new shampoo package.
Exploratory- They are figuring out different people’s opinion on a new package for their shampoo.
• This type of research attempts to capture a population’s characteristics by making inference from a sample’s characteristics and testing hypotheses.
Descriptive- It is forming a hypothesis from sample population’s characteristics.
• On the CBS television show Undercover Boss, top executives disguised as middle level or lower level employees investigate company departments to discover potential issues or problems.
Exploratory- They are viewing their companies from a different point of view to discover potential issues.