Case Studies Assignment
By: Shani McGee
Student ID: 21890987
Date: August 18, 2014
Essentials of Psychology SSC 130
Case study 1:
1. How did Cliff take advantage of principles of operant conditioning to modify his staff’s behavior?
Cliff took advantage of principles of operant conditionings modify his staff’s behavior by giving them small rewards when they were found working hard.
2. Why did Cliff’s predecessor’s strategy of punishing undesirable ...view middle of the document...
How did Cliff make use of partial reinforcement schedules? What kinds of schedules did he use?
Cliff made use of partial reinforcement schedule by frequently complimenting staff whenever they had done a good job; also he met daily production goals for them and rewards those that met their goals with lunch on Fridays. The specific schedule that he used was fixed-ratio schedule that can be seen when he rewarded the staff after they had completed a specific goal for the day.
4. How could Cliff use his technique to train his staff to complete a complex new task that they had never done before?
Cliff use the shaping techniques to train his staff to complete a complex new task, this is the process which teachers a complex behavior by rewarding closer and closer approximation of the desired behavior.
5. How might Cliff make use of principles of cognitive learning theory to improve his staff’s productivity
Cliff can make use of principles of cognitive learning theory to improve his staff’s productivity even further by hard work and their consistency.
Case Study 2:
1. How would Freud explain the personality differences between Mike and Marty Scanlon?
2. How would you rate Mike and Marty Scanlon on the “Big Five” personality traits?
3. Given that Mike and Marty Scanlon are twins and share some of their genetic makeup, how would you explain the pronounced differences in their personalities? What role, if any, does temperament seem to be playing?
4. Which of the two brothers seems more likely to be achieving self-actualization, and why do you think so?
5. Do Mike and Marty Scanlon appear to have different levels of intelligence, or do they show intelligence in different ways? Why do you think so?