Problem formulation and Identification Paper
Decision making is one of the most important aspects of leadership in business management. it influences and impacts the success of the organization. Therefore, it is very essential for managers to make great decision rationally and logically. Depending on the situation, there are different decision making models and decision making styles, and their tools and techniques to help manager identifying the root causes and resolutions for the problem. However, in order to execute using these models, styles, tools, and techniques effectively and successfully, a process must be in place to guide us step by step in a discipline manner yet flexible and allow us to alter or adjust and come up with the high quality outcome.
Without a process, we are likely to drag decisions into our comfort zone, handling different situation in exactly the same way, even though they have little in common. Without an organizational ...view middle of the document...
The followings are the steps:
1. Identifying a problem or opportunity- This first step is part of framing the problem to recognize a problem or to see opportunities.
2. Gathering information – Once the problem or opportunity is identified, we search for what we need to know so we can make right decision.
3. Analyzing the situation - What courses of action that are available? Asking questions and come up with the alternatives.
4. Developing options – Generate several possible options that are best fit for the alternatives.
5. Evaluating alternatives – Which alternatives will provide the best achievement for the objectives.
6. Selecting preferred alternative – Explore the provisional preferred alternative for future possible adverse consequences.
7. Acting on the decision – Developing a plan to implement the decision. Collecting all necessary resources to support the implementation. Getting consensus from colleagues and make certain everyone are committed to the plan.
8. Evaluating the decision – Creating a mechanism in place to monitor the impacts of the implementation.
The main strength of rational decision process is that it provides a step by step structure and the discipline of how these steps should go. It also helps to have a full range of factors relating to a decision, in a logical, rational, and comprehensive manner. The weakness of rational decision process is when the model is used in isolation. Rational decision making process is about making rational decisions. However, sometimes there are factors that not being rational and in many situations decisions have to be made with incomplete and insufficient information. That’s why judgment, intuition, experiences, and knowledge should be all together when making decisions. (The Happy Manager, n.d.).
Decision Quality. (n.d.). Decision Making Process. Retrieved from http://decision-quality.com/intro.php
Bloomberg businessweek. (n.d.). Decision Making Process. Retrieved from http://Decision making process (DMP) is a strategic activity to organizational, economical and societal life.
The Happy Manager. (n.d.). Rational Decision Making Model. Retrieved from http://www.the-happy-manager.com/rational-decision-making-model.html