1. A Port Expander is a hardware device that allows a user to use more than one device on a single port. A good example of a port expander is a USB hub. Most USB hubs allow you to hook up 3 to 5 USB connections from only 1 USB port on your computer.
2. List the types of ports available on the expander hardware. Include screen shots of actual port expanders to your completed assignment.
a- SCSI Port Expander Hardware
b- Audio Port Expander Hardware
c- VGA Port Expander Hardware
d- RS-422 Port Expander Hardware
e- SATA Port Expander Hardware
f- Ethernet Port Expander Hardware
g- Modbus Serial Port Hardware
h- SSD Port Expander ...view middle of the document...
Port expanders are made to be generic and can be used on almost any computer.
4. You should also discuss the possible advantages and disadvantages of using a port expander.
- There are some advantages of using a port expander. It is generally cheaper running a port expander than to actually buying “real” ports. Port expanders are generally computer specific; however there are exceptions to that rule. USB hubs only require that a USB port is available for the hub to plug into. A port expander is also known as a port replicator. Port replicators do not add new hardware to the computer. It provides a physical connection between a device and the computer.
- The disadvantage of using a port expander is speed. The single port you are connecting to only operates at a set speed; example of this is a USB 2.0 port operates at 480 Mbit/s. If you have a portable hard drive that runs at 300 Mbit/s and a digital camera running at 180 Mbit/s that leaves 0 Mbit/s left for any other USB device on the USB hub; you could run into a bottleneck situation if you are trying to run another device at the same time. I have used several USB hubs in the past and they seemed to work really well for me. I was not using all devices I had plugged into the hub at the same time. I found it was a lot easier than plugging and unplugging devices all the time just to plug in another device.
- RS-422 Port Expander Hardware
- SCSI Port Expander Hardware
- Ethernet Port Expander Hardware
- FireWire Port Expander Hardware
- VGA Port Expander Hardware
- USB Port Expander Hardware