Healthcare IS Definitions
Termika R. Stone
HCS/ 533 Health Information Systems
May 30, 2011
Professor Linda Mesko
The health industry has been under major construction in its efforts to catch up in this age of technology. These efforts are referred to as Health information technology (HIT). HIT imparts the architecture to explain the complete management of health information throughout the various computerized systems. It safeguards the exchange between government, quality entities, customers, suppliers and insurers. Health Information Technology is now viewed as a very promising agent for enhancing healthcare quality, protection and a well-organized and resourceful healthcare ...view middle of the document...
It is available to providers, ancillary service departments, pharmacies, and others involved in patient treatment or care (Moses, 2007).
• A crucial feature of CMR is the ability to simultaneously have access to patient data. Multiple clinicians can access a patient's record from numerous locations. Now because of the secure data transmission over the internet healthcare professional can now review and edit patient records from anywhere (Moses, 2007).
• CMS (Contact management system) is an information system that integrated office solution that permits organizations and individuals to record relationships and interactions with customers and suppliers. This data encompasses emails, documents, jobs, faxes and other forms of contact (Contact Management System, n.d.).
• A vital feature of this software is the ability to retrieve huge amounts of data. This will allow for healthcare facilities to keep up with trend analysis at any moment. This can also convert the data to illustrate graphs and charts (Contact Management System, n.d.).
• CMS-1500 (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services). The CMS-1500 is the modified form of HCFA (Health Care Financing Administration) 1500. The CMS-1500 form is the customary claim form employed by a non-institutional provider or suppliers to bill Medicare contractors and durable medical equipment contractors when a provider qualifies for a waiver from the Administrative Simplification Compliance Act (ASCA) requirement for electronic submission of claims (CMS-1500 Claim Forms/Medical Coding, n.d.).
• An important aspect of the CMS-1500 is the inclusion of NPI Number or National Provider Identifier Number. This perhaps is the most important aspect that has happened in this form. The new form helps record the NPI number separately in a different box, unlike its predecessor. The significance is everything is together, decreasing confusion and incomplete or inaccurate form completion CMS-1500/EMR, n.d.).
• CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) is a code set that accurately describes medical, surgical, and diagnostic services and is devised to communicate uniform information about medical services and procedures among physicians, coders, patients, accreditation organizations, and payers for administrative, financial, and analytical purposes (“Current Procedural Terminology”, n.d.). There are three types of CPT codes:
• Category I CPT Code(s)
• Category II CPT Code(s) – Performance Measurement
• Category III CPT Code(s) – Emerging Technology
• An important feature of the CPT is the uniformity in medical language that was created nationally. The healthcare industry can be very diverse as you progress from facility to facility. Having an established and in most cases mandatory set of codes virtually eliminates misunderstanding and bewilderment among all the healthcare facilities purposes (“Current Procedural Terminology”, n.d.).
• DRG (Diagnosis Related...