Class Lectures of Management Information Systems (MGT: 305)
System: System means interrelated set of elements.
MIS: Management Information System means managing information resources in a systematic way.
Chapter: 01 (Managing the Digital Firm)
Q#01: Management challenges while building an information system:
Designing competitive and efficient system
Understanding system requirements of global business environment
Creating information architecture
Determining business value of information system
Designing system in such a way so that people can control, understand and use in a socially ethically
Q#02: What is an ...view middle of the document...
Transformation of enterprises:
Low transaction cost
Q#04: What is meant by a digital firm?
A digital firm is one where nearby all of the organization’s significant business relationships with customers
suppliers and employees are digitally enabled and modeled.
Q#05: What is meant by business process?
Business process refers to unique manner in which a work is organized, coordinated and focused to produce
a valuable product or service.
Q#06: What are the major systems that help defined the digital firm?
The major systems that help to define a digital firm are given below;
01. Supply Chain Management (SCM): It is concerned to automate the relationship between suppliers and
02. Customer Relationship Management (CRM): It is to develop a coherent integrated view of all the
relationship a firm maintains with its customers.
03. Enterprise System (ES): To create an integrated enterprise wide system to coordinate key internal
process of the firm.
04. Knowledge Management System (KMS): To create, capture, store and disseminate firm’s expertise and
Q#07: Why Information System?
Reasons behind the information system are given below;
1. Extending the reach far away location
2. Offering new products and services
3. Reshaping jobs and workforce
4. Bringing dynamism in business operations
Q#08: What can we do in the internet?
Communication and collaboration
Access to information
Participation in discussion
Q#09: What are the New Options for Organizational Design?
Separating work from location
Redefining organizational boundary
Q#10: What is meant by a Digital Market?
A digital market refers to an information system that lings together many buyers and sellers to exchange
information, goods services and payment. Buyers and sellers can complete purchase and sale transactions
digitally regardless of their opinion.
Q#11: What is meant by Market?
Market is the sum of existing and potential customers of a product or service.
Q#12: What is Electronic Commerce (E-Commerce)?
E-commerce refers to the process of buying and selling goods and services electronically involving
transaction using the internet, networks and other digital technology.
Q#13: How does E-commerce facilitate commerce?
01. Internet lings buyers and sellers
02. Lower transaction cost
03. Facilitates advertising system
04. Buying and exchanging goods and services worldwide
05. Increase B2B transaction
Q#14: What is Electronic Market?
It is the process of buying and selling of goods and services electronically with computerized business
transaction using the internet, network and other digital technologies. It includes e-commerce as well as