Assignment 1: Entrepreneurial Leadership
Some consider Max Weber (pronounced VAA-ber) to be the father of sociology; however, he was also one of the earliest writers in the field of entrepreneurship. Weber viewed entrepreneurs as innovators, independent people whose role as business leaders conveyed a source of formal authority.
As Weber discussed, among other attributes, successful entrepreneurs must possess effective leadership skills. For this assignment, you will listen to a podcast of Steve Case, former Chairman and CEO of AOL, discussing his views of entrepreneurs. In another podcast, you’ll hear James Kouzes, co-author of The Leadership Challenge, describe the five (5) basic ...view middle of the document...
Listen to the James Kouzes podcast: Rising to the Leadership Challenge
3. Read Entrepreneurial Strategies, Drucker, Peter F., California Management Review, Winter 85, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p 9-25, (AN 4761590). Available in the Strayer Library.
4. Read: Understanding Entrepreneurial Leadership in today’s Dynamic Markets http://usasbe.org/knowledge/proceedings/proceedingsDocs/USASBE2003proceedings-21.pdf.
You are to write a four to five (4-5) page paper that answers the following:
1. Create a hybrid theory/philosophy which combines the common elements found in the thinking of Case, Kouzes, and Drucker. In your philosophy, be sure to include the new definition of entrepreneurial leadership presented in Understanding Entrepreneurial Leadership in today’s Dynamic Markets.
2. Describe what type of organization a transactional, transformational, and authentic leader would thrive in the most, as well as which type of leader would thrive the least. Explain your response using at least one (1) additional source.
3. Evaluate the resources and tools available through the Small Business Administration and SCORE, and determine which single resource or tool is most useful to the greatest number of businesses. Explain your rationale.
4. Create a list of leadership best practices that would apply to the greatest number of businesses (both small and large). Be sure to explain your reasoning.
The format of the paper is to be as follows:
• Typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman font (size 12), one-inch margins on all sides, APA format.
• Use headers for each of the criteria, followed by your response.
• In addition to the four to five (4-5) pages required, a title page is to be included. The title page is to contain the title of the assignment, your name, the instructor’s name, the course title, and the date.
Note: You will be graded on the quality of your answers, the logic/organization of the report, your language skills, and your writing skills
The assignment will be graded using the following rubric:
Discuss the common elements described in the theories/philosophies of Case, Kouzes, and Drucker including how their principles/strategies relate to the new definition of entrepreneurial leadership presented in Understanding Entrepreneurial Leadership in today’s Dynamic Markets.
In my opinion, the common elements described in the theories and philosophies (principles and strategies) of Case, Kouzes and Drucker relate to the new definition of entrepreneurial leadership presented in “Understanding Entrepreneurial Leadership in today’s Dynamic Markets” in various ways. To start, as I look back, in defining the characteristics of an entrepreneurial leader, one must view the people as an audience – the consumer. The one who chooses to accept the challenge, the influence or to settle. People must accept...