Late Nite Labs
Experiment 1: Monosaccharide Test
1. Fill in the table below with the results from the monosaccharide test experiment, and your conclusions based on those
Results Monosaccharide Test
Color with Benedict's Solution
Color After Heating
2. Benedict’s solution is added to white grape juice and heated. The color changes from blue to orange. Based on this result,
what biological molecules are present in the white grape juice?
...view middle of the document...
Iodine solution is added to a chocolate chip cookie solution. The color changes to purple. Based on this result, what
biological molecules are present in the chocolate chip cookie solution?
3. What is the relationship between monosaccharides and starches?
Experiment 3: Lipid Test
1. Fill in the table below with the results from the lipids test experiment.
Results Lipids Test
Color with Sudan Solution
2. What results would you expect from a sudan test of chicken soup?
3. What is the size difference between fat polymers and starch and protein polymers?
Experiment 4: Protein Test
1. Fill in the table below with the results from the protein and peptides test experiment..
Results Protein and Peptides Test
Color with Biuret Solution
egg albumin solution
2. What results would you expect from a biuret test of chicken soup?
Experiment 5: Food Contents Test
Late Nite Labs
1. Fill in the table below with the results from the food experiment.
Results Food Test
2. Although we consider it nonfat, skim milk actually has very low levels of lipids. Therefore, it should test positive with Sudan
solution. Why is the Sudan test for skim milk negative?