1. INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY
1.1 Financial statement:
A financial statement is an organized collection of data according to logical and consistent accounting procedures. Its purpose is to convey an understanding of some financial aspects of a business firm. It may show a position at a moment of time as in the case of a balance sheet, or may reveal a series of activities over a given period of time, as in the case of an income statement.
Thus, the term financial statement generally refers to the basis statements;
i) The income statement
ii) The balance sheet
iii) A statement of retained earnings
iv) A statement of charge in financial position in ...view middle of the document...
4. Finally to gain knowledge and experience during the study.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY:
1. It gives an analysis on the financial condition and performance of the organization an indication of the trend of the organization.
2. The study covers information about the financial statement of the company for the past 10 years calculated ratios.
3. Finally this project will serve as a foundation document based upon which the management students and others who may want to broaden their horizon.
1.5 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY:
1. The study undertaken is purely on the basis of the date furnished in the financial statements of the firm over the years.
2. Financial statements represent just one part of the information spectrum.
3. Financial statements are based on historical data and do lack current information.
The methodology used for the study is data collection method. The study is based on the secondary data which are collected from the sources such as magazines, newspapers and internet. Primary data is not relevant for the study.
1.7 Research design:
The descriptive form of research method is adopted for study.
The major purpose of descriptive research is description of state of affairs of the institution as it exists at present. The nature and characteristics of the financial statements of ITC Ltd have been described in this study.
1.8 Nature of data:
The data required for the study has been collected from secondary source .The relevant information were taken from annual reports, journals and internet data bases such as Capital Line.
2. Description about the Company
2.1 INTRODUCTION TO THE COMPANY
ITC Ltd is one of India's foremost private sector companies. The company is rated among the World's Best Big Companies, Asia's 'Fab 50' and the World's Most Reputable Companies by Forbes magazine, among India's Most Respected Companies by Business World and among India's Most Valuable Companies by Business Today. The company ranks among India's '10 Most Valuable (Company) Brands', in a study conducted by Brand Finance and published by the Economic Times. ITC also ranks among Asia's 50 best performing companies compiled by Business Week.
ITC has a diversified presence in Cigarettes, Hotels, Paperboards & Specialty Papers, Packaging, Agri-Business, Packaged Foods & Confectionery, Information Technology, Branded Apparel, Personal Care, Stationery, Safety Matches and other FMCG products. While ITC is an outstanding market leader in its traditional businesses of Cigarettes, Hotels, Paperboards, Packaging and Agri-Exports, it is rapidly gaining market share even in its nascent businesses of Packaged Foods & Confectionery, Branded Apparel, Personal Care and Stationery.
ITC's wholly owned Information Technology subsidiary, ITC Infotech India Ltd, provides IT services and solutions to leading global customers. ITC Infotech has carved a niche for itself by addressing customer...