Chapter 2 Assignment
1- The process of installing Fedora/RHEL involves putting a CD into the DVD drive. Then you go through all the computer specifics, making choices from the menu.
2- The anaconda is an installation tool that performs an interactive installation using the graphical or textual interface.
3- I would set up a GUI on a server system to make it more users friendly.
4- To make a system boot from a DVD, first enter the BIOS and change the settings from hard disk to CD.
5- Free space in the area of the disk not occupied by any partition.
6- ISO image files are files that hold data you use to create DVD/CD
7- Two ...view middle of the document...
cat echo will attempt to list the contents of a file called 'echo'.
1. IS EACH OF THE FOLLOWING AN ABSOLUTE PATHNAME, A RELATIVE PATHNAME, OR A SIMPLE FILENAME?
ANWSER: a=filename,b=relative pathname,c=absolute pathname,d=absolute pathname,e=relative, pathname since it represents the parent directory,f=filename.
2. LIST THE COMMANDS YOU CAN USE TO PERFORM THESE OPERATIONS:
a. make your home directory the working directory.
b. identify the working directory.
ANWSER: cd, pwd
3. IF YOUR WORKING DIRECTORY IS /home/alex WITH A SUBDIRECTORY NAMED literature, GIVE THREE SETS OF COMMANDS THAT YOU CAN USE TO CREATE A SUBDIRECTORY NAMED classics UNDER literature. ALSO GIVE SEVERAL SETS OF COMMANDS YOU CAN USE TO REMOVE THE classics DIRECTORY AND ITS CONTENTS.
ANWSER: $ pwd/home/alex,$ mkdir literature/classics,
$ mkdir /home/alex/literature/classics.
6. YOU SHOULD HAVE READ PERMISSION FOR THE /etc/passwd FILE. TO ANWSER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS, USE cat OR less TO DISPLAY /etc/passwd. LOOK AT THE FIELDS OF INFORMATION IN /etc.passwd FOR THE USERS ON YOUR SYSTEM.
a. which character is used to separate fields in /etc/passwd?
b. how many fields are used to describe each user?
c. how many users are on your system?
d. how many different login shells are in use on your system?
e. the second field of /etc/passwd stores users passwords in encoded form.if the password field contains an x, your system uses shadow passwords and stores the encoded passwords elsewhere. Does your system use shadow passwords.
ANWSER: a. colon (:), b. seven, c. d. and e. system dependent
7. IF /home/jenny/draft AND /home/alex/letter are links links to the same file and the following sequence of events occurs, what will be the date in the opening of the letter?
a. alex gives the command vim letter.
b. jenny gives the command vim draft.
c. jenny changes the date in the opening of the letter to January 31, 2008, writes the file, and exists from vim.
d. alex changes the date to February 1, 2008, writes the file, and exists from vim.
1. WHICH COMMANDS CAN YOU USE FROM THE COMMAND LINE TO SEND A FILE TO THE DEFAULT PRINTER?
ANWSER: lp and lpr without arguments send their standard input to the printer.
3. WHICH COMMNADS LIST YOUR OUTSTANDING PRINT JOBS?
ANWSER: lpq or lpstat.
5. NAME THREE PRINTING PROTOCOLS THAT CUPS SUPPORTS. WHICH IS THE CUPS NATIVE PROTOCOL? ANWSER: IPP, LPD/LPR, HTTP. IPP
1. WHAT ADVANTAGE DOES A SWITCH HAVE OVER A PASSIVE HUB.
ANWSER: Switches send packets only to the destination node while hubs share data to all connected devices. Throughput is increased with switches because of the lower amount of network overhead and lower amount of packet collisions
3. NAME TWO SERVERS THAT...