This research project consists of several components and deadlines. In order to write an effective research paper there are several stages involved and more of a time commitment. The research project includes (a) an annotated bibliography, b) a research proposal, and (c) an APA documented essay.
A. Annotated Bibliography- 10 academic sources- DUE 11/19/14
An annotated bibliography includes a summary and/or evaluation of each of the sources. Your annotations should include the following.
* Summarize: Some annotations merely summarize the source. What are the main arguments? What is the point of this book or article? What topics are covered? If someone asked what this article/book is about, what would you say? The length of your annotations will determine how detailed your summary is.
* Assess: After summarizing a source, it may be helpful to evaluate it. Is it a useful source? How ...view middle of the document...
Its function is to provide space to begin brainstorming and narrowing down your research topic, generate ideas relating to the research topic and the essays read in class, and formulate questions you may wish to consider when writing your paper. The proposal is also an excellent medium for you to consider what main ideas you are going to have to establish in order for you to begin writing your paper. It is also important for you to start considering what frame you will be placing around your topic. Another way to say it: Consider what ideas you will use to discuss your topic.
Instead of an outline which assumes that you already have some idea of the structure of your paper, this assignment discusses what your paper might be about. As a result, you should see the proposal as an exploration of your topic, your ideas on the topic, your reasons for choosing the topic, and what you will need to do in order to complete your essay. Students often find that creating a research question is helpful because in-depth questions, by definition, demand explorative answers. Within those answers, you may find that your topic narrowing itself, or you may find a new topic that is more interesting to you.
You may approach your proposal any way you feel, but please make sure you address at the very least the following:
* Indicate your topic, problem, or idea you will be exploring.
* Why does this topic interest you personally? (It is VERY important that you have a topic that interests you because if you aren't interested, you will not do a good job.)
* What questions do you want to address in your paper?
* How do those questions or ideas intersect with what we have been discussing in class?
* How focused is your topic? Have you picked a specific theme, idea, and author?
* Do you have any ideas on how you think the paper will be structured?
* If you have a preliminary position in relation to your topic and research question, indicate what that position is.
C. APA Documented Essay- at least 7 full pages, not including the title page, abstract, or reference page.
a. Printed Draft DUE- 12/1/14
b. Final DUE- 12/3/14