Marketing of Processed Food
[Type the document subtitle]
Roll no. 53
INDIAN PROCESSED FOOD INDUSTRY
The food processing Industry in India is of fundamental importance, holding as it does the vital link between agriculture and industry. This industry provides nearly 60 percent of all job opportunities by directly employing around 1.6 million workers. It is the fifth largest industry in the country in terms of production, consumption, export and growth. The worth of the Indian processed foods sector stood at USD 157 billion in FY2012; it is expected to touch USD 255 billion by FY2016 with 13 percent growth rate per annum.
The availability of raw materials, ...view middle of the document...
Ministry of food processing in its Vision 2015 document has estimated the size of processed food sector to treble, processing level of perishable to increase from 6% to 20%, value addition to increase from 20 % to 35% and India’s share in global food trade to increase from 1.5 % to 3%. The government’s focus towards food processing industry as a priority sector will ensure policies to support investment in this sector and attract more FDI.
Structure of Indian Processed Food Industry
Food-processing industry is significant for India’s development because it has important link and synergy with industry and agriculture, the two main support of the economy.
SOURCE: FAIDA / Ministry of Food Processing Industries
India's food-processing sector covers fruit and vegetables; meat and poultry; milk and milk products, alcoholic beverages, fisheries, plantation, grain processing and other consumer product groups like confectionery, chocolates and cocoa products, soya-based products, mineral water, high protein foods etc. The most promising sub-sectors includes- soft-drink bottling, confectionery manufacture, fishing, aquaculture, grain-milling and grain-based products, meat and poultry processing, alcoholic beverages, milk processing, tomato paste, fast food, ready-to-eat breakfast cereals, food additives, flavours etc. Health food and health food supplement is another rapidly rising segment of this industry, which is gaining vast popularity amongst the health conscious.
Food Processing Segments Product-wise Opportunities within Each of the Food Processing Industry Segments-
1. Baked goods-White flour, White rice, Salt, Baking powder ,Bread, Macaroni, Pasta, Cakes, Cake mixes, Pies, Pie crust mixes, Cookies
2. Processed fruits-Canned fruit, Frozen fruit, Fruit sauces, Jellies, Jams, Pie fillings, Fruit juice
3. Processed vegetables-Canned vegetables, Frozen vegetables, French fries
4. Convenience foods- Pizza, Precooked foods, Frozen dinners, Breakfast cereal, Granola, Energy bars
5. Processed meat-Canned meat, Cured meat, Ham, Lunch meat, Sausage, Bacon, Gelatins, Fresh meat with additives
6. Processed Dairy Foods- Cheese, Cheese food, Milk (homogenized, pasteurized, skim, low-fat, etc.)
7. Processed fats and oils-Refined oils, Cooking spray, Margarine, Salad dressing, BBQ sauce, Mustard, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Peanut butter
8. Drinks-Soft drinks, Fruit drinks, Instant breakfast drinks
9. Confections-White sugar, Brown sugar, Corn syrup, Rice syrup, Honey (unless raw),Syrups, Candies, Soft candies, Pudding, Dessert mixes, Ice cream, Frozen desserts,
Whipped cream, Chocolate, Marshmallows, Shredded coconut, Sugar substitutes
Broadly processed food can be categorised into the following sectors-
Sectors | Products |
Dairy | Whole milk powder, skimmed milk powder, condensed milk, ice cream, butter and ghee, cheese |
Fruits &Vegetables | Beverages, juices, concentrates, pulps,...