Title: A study into how concentration affects rate of reaction
Aim: We want to find out how concentration affects rate of reaction
Hypothesis: We predict that the reaction will happen faster if we have a higher concentration
Equipment: timer, conical flask, measuring cylinder, chemicals
1. Gather all the apparatus required for the experiment
2. Next using a weight balance measure out 8g of sodium thiosulfate which we added to the 200cm3 of water , which we mixed until all the crystals were dissolved
3. Once this is done then you pour out 50c3,40cm3,30cm3,20cm3,10cm3 of the solution into five same conical flasks ,once this is done you then add water to the other conical flask in 50cm,make sure you label the flasks so that you know which one has so much concentration .
4. After this is done you must now take a beaker and add 35cm3 of concentration hydrochloric acid to 65cm3 of water to make a diluted solution
5. Now then take ...view middle of the document...
16 | 20 | 30 | 10 | 75 | 75 | 75 | 0.013 |
24 | 30 | 20 | 10 | 35 | 45 | 40 | 0.023 |
32 | 40 | 10 | 10 | 36 | 34 | 35 | 0.03 |
40 | 50 | 0 | 10 | 25 | 25 | 25 | 0.04 |
| | | | | | | |
As the concentration of sodium thiosulfate was increased the time taken for the reaction decreased, this happened because the rate of reaction is directly proportional to the concentration. For example in my results when the concentration is 8 and the time taken for the reaction to happen is 200 seconds whereas when the concentration is 40 the time taken is 25 seconds. This shows the higher the concentration is the less time it will take for the reaction to occur. This happens because when there’s a high concentration there are more particles in the area so more of collisions.
I think that my experiment was a reliable test because we repeated it twice. This shows that we got accurate results which show that my experiment is more reliable. However I think that we could improve it by repeating the experiment three times to get more of consistent results. In my results I got an anomaly at the concentration of 24.