The Final Journal
Please complete and return this form to the Externship Office at the end of your placement.
This is a more structured report which will prompt you to reflect on specific issues. You will be responding to questions relating to:
* employee integration
* managerial style
* corporate culture
* organizational challenges/issues
* personal growth
This report should take no more than 3 hours to complete. Feel free to hand-write it in the spaces provided alongside each question.
1. In this industry plagued with high labour turnover, employee integration is an important employer capability. Please list three manners in which the management team has tried to connect with employees in an effort ...view middle of the document...
Some of these individuals are likely to be considered more capable than others. List 5 characteristics that contribute to the effectiveness of a “boss”.
4. Managers are often rated on their task-orientation and on their relationship-orientation. Describe the manner in which your manager balanced these approaches and comment on the effectiveness of this managerial style.
5. Corporate culture is often referred to as “the way we do things around here”. Please describe the corporate culture that exists in your workplace and comment on how it is maintained among existing employees and perpetuated through the new hires.
6. Who are the heroes in the organization? Why? How did you find out about them?
7. What, in your opinion, are the three major issues/challenges that the organization is facing right now?
8. Assume that you have become the General Manager of the organization for which you are working; what is the most significant change that you would prescribe? Why is this change so important & how would you initiate it?
How have you fared relative to the learning objectives that you established prior to your co-op placement? What were the factors that facilitated the learning? What were the obstacles to the learning?
10. What have you learned about yourself through the co-op experience? Discuss some of your strengths & weaknesses and the personal growth that you have undergone.
Did you enjoy your job? Why or why not? Is it what you expected it would be?
12. How do you perceive the industry now that you have had a significant opportunity to work within it on a full-time basis? What do you envision that you will be doing next co-op? What will you be doing in five years?