1. Tell me in your own words (that means do not copy verbatim from the text) what a paralegal is and what a paralegal does. Give examples.
- A paralegal is someone who assists a lawyer by working with clients, managing cases, and doing legal research. However they are not allowed to give any legal advice to the public because they are not permitted to do so. To me a paralegal does all of the “dirty work” for the actual lawyer.
2. Tell me what kinds of paralegal tasks you think you would find interesting.
- The paralegal task I find interesting are the ones were you have to do legal research.
3. Explain what unauthorized practice of law (UPL) is. Give 2 examples of UPL.
- Unauthorized ...view middle of the document...
6. Read the Smith case (page 11 in the text) and answer:
a) How do the activities that are enjoined in the order conform to the definition of law at the end of the case?; and
* The law states you cannot give any advice if you have not practiced law, they reaffirm that statement several times. Even subtle advice is not permitted.
b) Why does not the list of prohibited activities serve as a definition of what constitutes the practice of law?
-The list of prohibited activities serves as a definition and a guideline to what constitutes to the practice of law because it is a straight-forward to the point, list of what can and cannot be done.
7. a. State the name of the city and state in which you live.
b. Check the want ads in your local newspaper, the internet, and any other source you can find for Local job openings for paralegals- up to 3 total. List those local jobs (if not in your town, a nearby locality), location of job, name of firm or entity offering the job, type of job,qualifications and pay (if mentioned).
Paralegal needed for busy personal injury firm. Must be able to work independently in a high stress, high volume work environment. Experience in the medical and/or insurance field a plus. Willing to train the right candidate. Please respond to this ad with your resume.
* Location: Syracuse
* Compensation: DOE
Small downtown law firm seeks full-time paralegal or legal secretary to join our team. The firm's practice is focused on litigation and real estate matters, and we are looking for...