Section 1: Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow.
What is it about Madonna that made her such a trans-continental superstar? The answer to this question is as varied and covers as wide a range of factor as the subject herself. At the peak of her career she once said, Sometimes I get this scary feeling that I could do anything.’ She has an exceptional range of creative talents and has achieved success in several different fields – as a dancer, a singer, a songwriter, a choreographer, a record producer, a ‘tour’ artist and an actress.
Madonna trained as a dancer. She really trained for years, and it was her dancing skills which brought her to New York in the ...view middle of the document...
As a singer, Madonna soon took to writing her own material and her talent as a songwriter has also to be considered. Since she knew her own voice, and she knew the importance of rhythm from her dancing, she was able to write songs that were both distinctive and tailor-made for her abilities. Based originally on dance-styles, her songs grew in depth and expressive seriousness so that on the one hand she is responsible for such classics as ‘Into the Groove’ and on the other she was able to create something as utterly different as ‘Promise To Try’. Of course by no means all of Madonna’s songs are entirely her own work; she often writes in collaboration with others but such is her control over all aspects of the finished result that we can justly talk to ‘her’ material. If her music developed, so did her lyric-writing. Whatever lies behind her lines, some have become phrases within most people’s vocabulary.
1. Answer the following questions based on the information in the passage.
i. What talents are Madonna famous for?
ii. How did Madonna’s years of dance training bring her success?
iii. How did learning drums, piano and guitar help Madonna?
iv. Why did Madonna write her own songs?
v. Name two songs mentioned in the passage.
2. Circle the word that is the closest in meaning to the words/phrases that are bolded.
1. exceptional | a. abnormal | b. remarkable | c. average | d. customary |
2. summit | a. foundation | b. beginning | c. depth | d. top |
3. prime | a. weakest | b. mature | c. major | d. principle |
4. contributed | a. helped | b. enhanced | c. hindered | d. augmented |
5. achieved | a. attained | b. culminated | c. developed | d. expected |
6. distinctive | a. lousy | b. exceptional | c. awful | d. poor |
7. tailor-made | a. man-made | b. custom-made | c. hand-made | d. match-made |
8. in collaboration with | a. together with | b. beset with | c. deal with | d. comply with |
3. Read the passage above and match the titles with each paragraph. There is one extra.
a. Madonna’s Dancing Skills
b. Madonna’s Uniqueness and Originality
c. How Dancing Helped Madonna Become Successful
d. Madonna: The Multitalented Star
e. Other Musical Skills Madonna Has
f. Madonna’s Schooling
Paragraph 1 ____________________________________
Paragraph 2 ____________________________________
Paragraph 3 ____________________________________
Paragraph 4 ____________________________________
Paragraph 5 ____________________________________
Section 2: Sentence Skills: The passage below has underlined errors of subject-verb agreement, wrong verb forms, incorrect verb forms of do, be & have, run-ons and fragments. Write the corrections on the space provided below.
Pencil, an amazing writing tool, (1) have a very unique history attached to it. Did you know that modern pencils owe it all to an ancient Roman writing instrument called a stylus? (2) Each thin...