Chapter 1: Defining Marketing for the 21st Century
GENERAL CONCEPT QUESTIONS
1. Good marketing is no accident, but a result of careful planning and ________.
Answer: a Page: 4 Level of difficulty: Medium
2. Marketing is both an “art” and a “science”—there is constant tension between the formulated side of marketing and the ________ side.
Answer: a Page: 4 Level of difficulty: Easy
3. The most formal definition of marketing is ________.
a. meeting needs ...view middle of the document...
Answer: c Page: 8 Level of difficulty: Medium
6. ________ can be produced and marketed as a product.
c. Durable goods
Answer: a Page: 9 Level of difficulty: Medium
7. Charles Revson of Revlon observed: “In the factory, we make cosmetics; in the store, ________.”
a. we make profits
b. we challenge competitors
c. we implement ads
d. we sell hope
e. we sell quality
Answer: d Page: 9 Level of difficulty: Easy
8. A ________ is someone seeking a response (attention, a purchase, a vote, a donation) from another party, called the ________.
a. salesperson, customer
b. fund raiser, contributor
c. politician, voter
d. marketer, prospect
e. celebrity, audience
Answer: d Page: 10 Level of difficulty: Hard
9. In ________—consumers may share a strong need that cannot be satisfied by an existing product.
a. negative demand
b. latent demand
c. declining demand
d. irregular demand
e. non-existent demand
Answer: b Page: 10 Level of difficulty: Medium
10. In ________—more customers would like to buy the product than can be satisfied.
a. latent demand
b. irregular demand
c. overfull demand
e. negative demand
Answer: c Page: 10 Level of difficulty: Medium
11. Marketers often use the term ________ to cover various groupings of customers.
b. buying power
c. demographic segment
d. social class position
Answer: e Page: 10 Level of difficulty: Hard
12. Companies selling mass consumer goods and services such as soft drinks, cosmetics, air travel, and athletic shoes and equipment spend a great deal of time trying to establish a superior brand image in markets called ________.
a. business markets
b. global markets
c. consumer markets
d. nonprofit and governmental markets
e. service markets
Answer: c Page: 11 Level of difficulty: Medium
13. In business markets, advertising can play a role, but a stronger role may be played by the sales force, ________, and the company’s reputation for reliability and quality.
a. brand image
Answer: d Page: 11 Level of difficulty: Hard
14. Global marketers must decide ________.
a. which countries to enter
b. how to enter each country (as an exporter, licenser, joint venture partner, contract manufacturer, or solo manufacturer)
c. how to adapt their product and service features to each country
d. how to price their products in different countries
e. all of the above
Answer: e Pages: 11–12 Level of difficulty: Medium
15. Mohan Sawhney has proposed the concept of ________ to describe a cluster of complementary products and services that are closely related in the minds of consumers but are...