Foundation Simulation Final Report
MANA 4322 – Organizational Strategy
2015 Annual Report
Sensors, Inc.’s Mission Statement:
The Mission of Sensors, Inc. is to provide high quality sensors to the electronic sensor industry for distribution world wide. Sensors will produce a variety of sensors in both the High and Low Tech markets using established market specific R&D methods and price them competitively within this highly competitive market. Sensors is committed to producing products that have excellent designs and quality attributes.
At the outset of incorporation, Sensors, Inc.’s management decided that it would concentrate on a strategy of ...view middle of the document...
Way back in 2008, each of the companies in the electronic sensor industry was on an even keel. Along with Sensors, Inc.’s Andrews division, there were five other identically situated companies. Each of the six companies produced one sensor that sold in both the High and Low tech markets. As time went on, these companies began to differentiate their sensors in the areas of price, age, reliability and positioning (size and performance).
2015 Annual Report
Customers within the Low Tech market had specific buying criteria that they were interested in for the sensors they purchased. They mainly focused on price but age, reliability and positioning, in that order, were important to them as well. The customers within the High Tech market also had specific buying criteria but they focused more so on positioning with age, price and reliability, in that order, not being as important to them. The Andrews division of Sensors competed against these six other companies over a seven year period and during this time, the Low Tech market created more demand for product than did the High Tech market. Low Tech started out demanding 70% leaving High Tech with 30% of the market. When the seven year period was over, Low Tech Customers still demanded a greater portion of the production; they had 56% of the market leaving High Tech with 44%. As you can tell from this reduction in market for the Low Tech and increase for the High Tech, they each had different growth rates. Low Tech’s growth rate was 10% where High Tech’s was 20%. These growth rates corresponded to the demand for units produced.
Total Market Dem and 10,000 8,000 6,000 4,000 2,000 0 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Rounds Low Tech High Tech
Round 0 – ending December 31, 2008 The ending of this round was the start of the simulation. Each of the identically situated companies that competed within the electronic sensor market had one product. Each product had 1/6th or 17% of the market in both the Low and High Tech markets. Each had a Stock Price of $11.15 per share to build upon, an ROS of 6.1% and an ROE of 19.3%. This even keel would eventually begin to spread as the rounds completed. From the very beginning Sensors’s Andrews company had a Promotional and Sales Budget of
2015 Annual Report
$1,000 each, as did the other 5 companies. These budgets funded the marketing department’s efforts to advertise our products. We felt that advertising was important, how else would our customers know about our products and services, we didn’t want to leave anything to chance and have our customers just stumble across our product. Round 1 – ending December 31, 2009 This is the year/round that things became interesting. I was hired as CEO to run the business and make the strategic decisions. Working with key personnel within the company, we decided that we wanted to make sure we had products in both markets. Since we only had the one product, Able, which I had inherited from my...