BUSINESS TRAVELER STRESS
Along with the stated potential stressors on Figure 7.1 on the book, travel stress is one of which is commonly faced by the managers as it includes the stress factors of lost luggage, poor accommodations, change in regular diets, and others which can result to anger, fatigue, poor performance, and sleep deprivation. These concerns are being managed by organization to reduce, and thus eliminate to come up with maximum efficiency of the traveler and the organization.
Discussion Question #1: What can an organization do to reduce the stress facing a business traveler who is returning from being away from the office for 60 days?
The organization should ...view middle of the document...
Discussion Question#2: What are some of the potential stress problems of taking cheaper flights and using cheaper hotels and motels that are less oriented to the business traveler?
Due to inevitable stress problems the following are identified:
• When the organization chooses to take cheaper flights, security of the business traveler would be uncertain due to the facilities and convenience the airline could provide, instance such as the engine might not be working well.
• Lost luggage might occur due to poor security system of cheaper airlines.
• Tendency to have delays of schedules because of changes of airplane schedules.
• If the traveler carries sickness such as hypertension, asthma, and diabetes, his health might be at risk due to the weather and pollution of the environment of the assigned place, and the foods that are being served in hotels or motels. In this case, air-conditioned rooms might not be working well or the room is too dusty, maintenance of the room might not be monitored well, and the available foods being served are not allowed for the traveler like due to allergies.
• Cheaper hotel accommodations tend to mean more noise, more sleep disruptions, and more general irritants
• Fewer features such as exercise facilities, restaurants, and sundry shops which are easy access to reduce stress for the traveler.
• Other incidents such as terrorist threats during the flight or when the traveler is under work in that certain place, and questionable services...