Business Communication – Review of the Module on Interpersonal Communication
The different dynamics of interpersonal relationship that is recorded in the story are
* Listening for the cues and clues – The non-verbal communication that is going on when Karthik and Priya were interacting with each other.
* To be solution-centred – The purpose of the exercise was to understand the other person and to suggest improvements. But Karthik was uninterested in the process and did not want to change himself.
* Giving accurate summaries – Understanding the person before judging them. Kartik had already type-casted Priya and formed his judgements about her. He was not willing to understand her ...view middle of the document...
* He was irritated with Priya not being interested in the conversation as she was busy with her phone all the time.
* He was only asking questions because they were asked to do the exercise but was not really interested in it.
* He was surprised with her answers as they were different from how he had judged her to be.
According to the principles given by Fletcher, the interview needs to be open mind and positive approach. He should have a totally passive role in the interview and it is up him that his aptitudes, abilities and qualification for the job are put forward and noted in the interview. Whereas in this case Kartik was not open and was irritated because he felt that Priya was disinterested in the conversation.
According to Gratus, every interview has a particular purpose in this case it was to know the other person and suggest points for improvement in behaviour. But Kartik was of the opinion that the exercise would not yield the purpose. Gratus also mentions that during the interview one should be friendly, polite and open whereas here the conversation was very formal and that the interview is not an interrogation. Also, Priya should have made sure that there were no interruptions during the conversation.
According to Wells, an interview is not just about talking but also listening and observing the behaviour. He mentions that the interview should be handled plesnetly. But in this case Kartik was interrogating very formally and was unable to see the positive qualities in Priya because he had already formed a judgement about her. He did not try to see things from Priya’s point of view.