../ Refraction is the bending of a wave front as the wave front passes between two substances in which the speed of the wave differs ../ The angle of refraction 8r is the angle between the refracted ray and normal line ../ Refraction occurs when light's velocity changes ../ When light moves from one medium to another, part of it is reflected and part is refracted; the frequency of the light does not change during refraction ../ When the light ray moves from air into glass, the refracted ray is bent toward the normal; when the light ray moves from glass to air is bent away from the normal ../ The index of refraction is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a ...view middle of the document...
Which band of the electromagnetic spectrum has: a. the lowest frequency?
b. the shortest wavelength?
2. Suppose an intelligent society capable of receiving and transmitting radio signals lives on a planet orbiting Procyon, a star 95 light-year away from Earth. If ~ signal were sent toward Procyon in 1999, what is the earliest year that Earth could expect to receive a return message?
3. For each of the objects listed below, identify whether light is reflected diffusely or specularly. a. b. c. d. e. a concrete driveway d~ftl4. Set'1 an undisturbed pond spec4'~rl~ a polished silver tray s-pecl.4lo.v-I'f a sheet of paper d~ttlA.S~ l~ a projection screen in a movie theater
4. If you are stranded on an island, where would you align mirror to use sunlight to signal a searching aircraft?
!~ -\-~e ~~
lef+ (J.""J y"'f~t) s. If you are standing 2.0 m in front of flat mirror, how far
behind the mirror is your image? What is the magnification? ------'i_
._~ x-c o«: 4 SO wI ~t.\'\ 'J dlre ch.:O"" \"'e. ~"" -\-~V'-e s 1'-'1 (l'" ~o+'" ollrechol..,j'
f v: ov-, +~-e
, 50 ,
( 0 ",e) .
6. When you shine flashlight across a room, you see the beam of light on the wall. Why do you not see the light in the air?
dLlk91,. -:: "'. ("
11. Find the angle of refraction for a ray of light that enters a bucket of water from air at angle of 25.0° to the normal. -0 • V\I ~lV\e, -= \"I 'L~l",e-'l. $c:vtG''l.:;; Sot ~...