Como Tool and Die (A)
Como Tool and Die Company was a tier-2 supplier of automotive industry and Ford Motor Company is its largest customer. Como is well known for its quality in the products. In 1996 Ford established some objectives for the suppliers to reduce the lead time, internal resources, prototypes within a time frame of 24 months. To attain these objectives and the leadership position in the marketplace, Como has to implement a strategic plan for mature project management system. For the new plan the cultural issues in the company are to be resolved and the president of Como appointed a task force for this purpose. Each cultural issue in the company are identified and proper ...view middle of the document...
5. Concentrating on Ford’s major requirements like vehicle development, process improvement, and cost reduction in the first twenty-four month time frame, established by Ford would help Como to be successful.
6. If a customer is more knowledgeable, even a single drawback in the company’s management may have the company lose the customer.
7. The goal of a project management system is to gain customer satisfaction. So, the strategic planning of the organization should also be based on the customers’ knowledge.
8. The strategic planning of an organization include the way it approaches the market, flexibility of its products and processes, cost and quality of its products. Hence, the customer may consider the strategic plan of a particular organization as the input in its process of selecting it as a supplier.
Como Tool and Die (B)
In 1997, when Como was partially gaining success on the objectives established by Ford, Ford made an announcement of establishing a chunk management system. In this system the chunk managers are selected based on the superiority in the project management. The selection process of chunk managers may take one year. The Como Company realized that the only option it had to become a chunk manager would be cutting down the three-year plan to eighteen month plan for implementing an excellent project management. The study also discusses the risks that the Como Company has to face if it decides to become a chunk manager. The risks includes problems related to cost and delivery targets, complex coordination activities, and reaching the customer’s expectations.
1. Como, being on the target to achieve partial success in project management in 36 months was the driving force before Ford’s announcement regarding chunk management. The realization of completing the target in eighteen months by Como is the driving force after the announcement.
2. The management of Como should set the goal of setting up a mature project management system within eighteen months. Effective time management plan and improved R&D program should be implemented. The strategic plan should be made in a way to gain the commitment of awarding the chunk management from Ford.
3. The Como Tool and Die Company may be awarded with the chunk management by Ford. In the study, it was mentioned that the selection process of chunk managers may take more than a year. If the Como Company gain success in implementing excellent project management within eighteen months, the chances of gaining chunk management may increase.
4. Como should compete to become a chunk manager to at least sustain in its position as a low-level supplier rather than putting the automotive division into critical position.
5. Yes, the strategic plan would change. Because, the strategic plan is developed to achieve the target in 36 months, if the target has to be achieved in eighteen months, there should be some changes made to the plan.
6. The decision of Como...