IDENTIFY THE WARNING SIGNS OF A POTENTIAL SUICIDE
Learning Step 1- Identify Suicidal behavior
Learning step 2- Identify the causes of suicidal behavior
Learning step 3- Identify the Army suicide prevention model
Learning step 4- Identify the warning signs of depression and suicidal behavior
Identify Suicidal Behavior
* Create a trusting environment where soldiers will feel that it is okay to ask leaders for help.
* “Earlier treatment leads to faster recovery”
* Establish a climate where seeking help is not character flaw but seen as a sign of strength.
* Know your Chaplain and behavioral health partners.
* Know the outreach behavioral ...view middle of the document...
* Setbacks ( academic, career, or personal).
* Severe, prolonged, and/or perceived unmanageable stress..
* A sense of powerlessness, helplessness, and/or hopelessness
* Relationship problems( loss of girlfriend/boyfriend, divorce, ect.)
* History of previous suicide attempts
* Substance abuse.
* History of depression or other mental illness
* Family history of suicide or violence
* Work related problems
* Transitions (retirement, PCS, discharge, etc)
Identify the causes of suicidal behavior
Possible mental disorders are depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ect.
Adding alcohol/drug abuse increase suicide risk by deceasing inhibitions, increasing aggressiveness, and impairing judgment.
75-85 percent of suicides involve depression
Intoxication was a factor in 40 to 60 percent of those who died by suicide,
An estimated 18-66 percent of those who died by suicide have some alcohol in their blood at the time of death.
An estimated 1-6 percent of individuals with alcohol dependency will die by suicide
Suicide rates among 18 to 20 year-olds decreased among several states where the...